Firm Officer, Galveston Office
Mr. Poole joined the Firm in 1977, after having worked as a brakeman/conductor while attending undergraduate and law school. He engages in railroad litigation and has tried to verdict in excess of 100 railroad cases, including fourteen published appellate court decisions (Texas Courts of Appeals, Texas Supreme Court, and Fifth Circuit) and over 25 U.S. District Court published opinions. He has experience in such diverse cases as FELA, grade crossing, employment law claims, contract disputes, mass tort, environmental, product liability claims, and insurance coverage litigation.
Since joining the Firm, Mr. Poole has maintained a trial docket for clients including BNSF Railway Company, Union Pacific Railroad Company, National Railroad Passenger Corporation d/b/a Amtrak, Galveston Railway, Inc., and The Port of Galveston (Galveston Wharves), Professional Transportation, Inc. and various insurance companies.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers (membership cannot exceed 1% of the total lawyer population of any state)
- Diplomat in the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Named one of Texas Best Lawyers, Railroad Law (one of 5 in Texas) by US News and World Report / Houston Chronicle (2009 and 2010)
- Named one of Best Lawyers in America, US News and World Report (2009-2016)
- Named “Texas Super Lawyer” in various categories by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters partner publication/insert distributed by Texas Monthly 2008-2016
- Rated “AV Preeminent” (highest rating possible) by Martindale Hubbell
- Life Fellow in the Texas Bar Foundation
- Board Certified Personal Injury Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (1982 to present)
- District 5B Grievance Committee 1995-98, Chair 1997
- Named by U.S. District Court, Galveston Division as Delegate to the Fifth Circuit Judicial Conference.
- Vice President of National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel (NARTC) for the Southwestern Region (Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana and Arizona)
- Member American Association of Railroads Ad Hoc Committee and Tort Matters Working Group.
- Licensed in Texas and Oklahoma Courts and the U..S. Supreme Court, Fifth and Tenth Circuit Courts of Appeal and the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, Western and Northern Circuits of Texas.
- State Bar of Texas (Served on the District 5B Grievance Committee from 1992 to 1998 and Chairman from 1996 to 1998)
- Galveston County Bar Association
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel (Vice President, Southwestern Region, 2004-2005)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Texas Bar Foundation (Life Fellow)
- Attorney-Delegate for United States District Court, Galveston Division, Southern District of Texas, Fifth Circuit Judicial Conference 2004